Wednesday, August 17, 2011

que exquisito

 Hello!  So I’m not quite sure how to do this whole blog thing…but one thing I know is that writing the little details of everything I do and everywhere I go is monotonous to write and to read.  So I’ll write about what I find most interesting.


One of the major differences between here and the US that I noticed right away is the level of public affection people display.  First, you can’t throw a stone 3 feet without hitting a couple that’s kissing or caressing each other.  Seriously.  I had heard about it before, but never realized its extent until I actually got here. But beyond that, there is also a higher level of affection between friends and family.  You greet everyone, whether they are your best friend or a stranger you are just meeting, with a hug and kiss on the cheek—no exceptions.  When I explained to my host mom that a normal greeting for a stranger in the US was to shake   hands she was shocked and almost slightly disgusted. 
                                                                                           She, in particular, is one of the most affectionate people I have ever encountered.  She has little pet names for everyone and, after two days, had already started calling me her amorcita.  Her most used phrase by far is que exquisito—how exquisite. My host brother and his one-year old daughter, Josefina, came over the other and I have never seen a baby that has so many people completely infatuated with her.  From the moment Josefina arrived my host mom was just beside herself with adoration.  She was constantly gushing things like “Ohhh my little love you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen”  “Look at you little fatty, you are so precious and pretty” “I have the most beautiful granddaughter that has ever lived”.  My host sister was constantly taking photos of her every move, and my host brother was showering her with hugs and kisses.  Not surprisingly, she is very spoiled and gets everything she wants, but she is a cutie.  



My living situation couldn’t be more different from what I’m used to.  I’m in an apartment right in the heart of the city and I am just a short walk away from the ocean, the mall, and the central “plaza” of the city.  There are stands selling flowers, vegetables and newspapers right on my block.  I was also informed by my host mom the other night that I need to be careful because my block is where the travestis congregate on weekends to conduct business.  This could be interesting… :)


I started school on Tuesday, and I think I’m going to really like it, although there’s no doubt it will be a challenge to be taking college level courses in Spanish.  I think my literature classes will be the hardest because the professor already has a preconception of us as little Americans girls that have never read anything other than Vogue…her words, not mine. 

It’s hard to put my experience here into words.  Every day is filled with a completely new adventure—my mind is constantly working to understand the language and take in everything around me.  I can already tell my Spanish is improving.  My host mom had a whole bunch of friends over for dinner last night and each one was as crazy and affectionate and gregarious as her.  It was a blast.  It was such a cool feeling to actually be able to participate in their conversations and understand their jokes! 

I hope this blog finds everyone warm and enjoying the final days of summer (I miss it---it's winter here!) Until next time!

Anna  

3 comments:

  1. It is great to hear all your stories! Miss You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your professor that you've read more than Vogue. I've seen you reading Cosmo at least once before.

    All the best,

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ana!! I'm glad you are having such a nice time. I'm willing to see you in Uruguay!!!
    Take care and have fun in Viña!

    Alina

    ReplyDelete