Monday, September 19, 2011

Santiago y Fiestas Patrias

La Moneda--home of President Piñera
Hola! It’s been an exciting week for me here in Chile. Last Monday morning we loaded a bus and headed to Santiago to explore Chile’s capitol. It was a great, action-packed trip. We were able to see all the city’s most important buildings, plazas and natural attractions, including a visit to La Moneda--Chile’s equivalent of the White House.  The president was even in the house while we touring, which I found exciting, but when I told my host mom she felt bad that I had to be that close to him (he is not very popular here, especially among my family).  Although the tours were fascinating, there is also something to be said for exploring the lesser-known parts of the city with people who live there.  Luckily, a few of us had connections with other students living in Santiago so we were able to enjoy the city with them at night.  One night, not only did we see Michael Cera AGAIN, we also decided on a whim to stop at a crepe shoppe only to be served by a girl from Shoreview, MN who happened to go to high school with one of the girls on our trip.  Coincidences like that never cease to amaze me.  Later, in the middle of the night, there was a small earthquake that did no damage but got everyone talking.  My host mom called me the next morning to make sure that the old rickety hostel we were staying in had held up.  Unfortunately, or probably fortunately, I was fast asleep and somehow didn’t even wake up.  I feel like I missed out! 
View of Santiago from Cerro San Cristoból
We returned home on Wednesday night just in time to start celebrating Fiestas Patrias. My host mom took us out to a typical Chilean restaurant down the block and ordered me Chorillana, one of Chile’s delicacies—a mountain of French fries topped with beef, hot dogs, fried onion and fried eggs.  Blocking out any thoughts about its effects on my arteries, I found that it was a surprisingly delicious combination.  And I wasn’t the only one. My host sister, who is on a “diet” refusing to eat any bread or sweets, had no problem scarfing down a big ol’ plate of Chorillana, with a diet coke of course. Something I have noticed, that might be a little more pronounced in my family, is that Chileans can be very blunt and harsh about things without feeling like they are being rude. To give an example, throughout the night at restaurant my host sister and mom had at least a 3 minute conversation about how fat the woman sitting at the table next to us was.  And then a few minutes later, went on about how ugly their friend’s son is.  Soon after, the conversation changed to how foolish their acquaintance is because he has depression.  And finally, how my mom would never want to host an Asian (or an amarillo as she called them for their “yellow skin”) because they’re all dirty and smell bad.  Now this makes them sound like they are really awful people, and they really aren’t.  They are both nice and caring and generous. I think they just have different standards about what is acceptable to say about someone.  They honestly think that these things are fact, so they don’t feel bad saying them.  But anyways…back to Fiestas Patrias.
A friendly game of tug of war at the asado
 
From then on forward, the rest of the weekend was filled with food and celebration. In class on Thursday, our art history teacher took the entire period just to tell us what food and drinks to buy at the Ramadas (a big carnival for Fiestas Patrias filled with rides, games, and vendors of everything imaginable) and teach us how to dance Cueca, the typical Chilean dance.  Sunday the 18th, like our July 4th, was the big day.  My host family and I spent the day with family and friends at two different asados, followed by an after party with my host sister.  It was so cool to participate in this day so filled with Chilean tradition and culture and to meet so many people.  After over twelve straight hours of eating, drinking, games, talking and dancing, the night finally came to an end. What a weekend!
Embracing my inner Chilena

No comments:

Post a Comment