Friday, October 28, 2011

Así es Chile


Hola! As the end of October creeps up on me, I am having a hard time accepting that I have less than 2 months remaining in this corner of the world.  Although I do have things to look forward to after leaving Chile (a trip to Machu Picchu and Bolivia, Christmas, seeing family and friends again) I know it’s going to be tough to leave.  It’s moments like the one I had tonight--sitting on a balcony with incredibly generous and welcoming Chilean friends, eating delicious food and watching the sun set over the Pacific Ocean—that I know I will miss the most. 
5 hours later, we were standing on the top looking down
 A few weeks ago, a friend invited me to hike up a really pretty “hill” that is near his house in Olmue, a town about an hour away.  I’m always up for a nice little hike, so I wrangled up some other friends and, after a fun Friday night and very little sleep, we hopped on a very early bus Saturday morning to get to the national park.  Turns out this little hill was actually a mountain. A mountain of extreme difficulty. (I found it described as “death march” “complete shock” and “hysterically terrible” from others who have climbed it) [Fun fact: Charles Darwin climbed this mountain on his “Voyage of the Beagle”, he must have been a pretty fit man…] The first half was winding, uphill forest paths leading to an old abandoned mine--two of our companions only made it this far.  The top of the mountain is sheer rock face, so the second half consisted of literally clawing up boulders, free form.  It was simultaneously awful and amazing.  Finally, after 5 of the most breathless, physically exhausting hours of my life, we reached the top.  Words cannot describe the view or the feeling of awe and accomplishment I felt.  Surrounded by the Andes on one side and the Pacific on the other, I can honestly say it is probably the most beautiful view I’ve ever seen.  After attempting to soak it all in, we started back on our trek down which was even more painful than the trek up.  Coming down the boulders was like walking down a ladder frontwards, and I have more than my fair share of scars, cuts and bruises to testify my many falls.  However, it’s a wonder what endorphins, good company and a tasty bag of trail mix can do to keep moods up.  All in all, it was a great day.
don't look down...
The view from the top
 
As the end of the semester is nearing, school-work is starting to feel a little suffocating.  Within the next few weeks I have 3 papers, 4 oral presentations and 3 tests. Yaaaay. However I have not let this bring me out of my “When in Chile” mentality and have still found time to “enjoy my youthfulness” as my host mom would say.  Going out with friends on the weekends to the local pubs and clubs never fails to be a good time. Also, I am leaving tomorrow for 5 day trip to the Atacama Desert in northern Chile!! It is such a highly recommended place by everyone I have talked to—I can’t wait.  Speaking of that, I need to start packing so I will end this update pronto.  Oh, but I can’t forget a shout out to my lovely mother on her birthday today! None of my successes or adventures would have been possible if it weren’t for her wonderful parenting skills :)
Happy Halloween!! I will be spending it with the naturally preserved mummies of the Atacama.  Miss you all!!
My friend Rhiannon and I with our host moms (who happen to be best friends)

No comments:

Post a Comment